We think Geology Matters, do you?
- Object Name: Crinoid
- Object Name: Fossil
- ObjectNumber: 007832
- Summary: A fossil Clematocrinus retiarius crinoid from Wrens Nest.
- Description: A complete fossil Clematocrinus retiarius crinoid within a lime mud matrix. The specimen has a fine stem with a number of small branches and small arms with well preserved finer pinnules. Collected from the largest bedding plane of Nodular Member rock face, known as the "Clematocrinus Bed". A virtual lack of related fauna suggests a life assemblage probably within littoral zone where crinoid stems would anchor into sediment. CB
- Field Collection Place: Wrens Nest (west side), Dudley, West Midlands, UK
- Colour: Brown
- Geological Complex:
- Hapalocrinidae and Clematocrinus retiarius (Phillips 1839)
- Associated Period:
- Silurian - Wenlock - Homerian - Much Wenlock Limestone Formation
- For more information contact: Dudley Museums Service