We think Geology Matters, do you?
- Object Name: Trilobite
- Object Name: Fossil
- Object Name: Manufactured Trilobite
- ObjectNumber: GL612
- Summary: A fake manufactured trilobite made in the 19th Century by a quarryman.
- Description: A 19th century quarryman's fake trilobite. It is made up of fragments from a real fossil trilobite with the missing sections carefully carved out of the limestone matrix. The thoracic segments are broken and missing on one side of the trilobite and central lobe. A large repaired crack is present on the edge of the cephalon (head). The eyes are significantly damaged. The glabella and front thoracic segments are genuine trilobite but the rest has been carved including genal spines and cephalon border. The miner would have carved the specimen from memory of the last complete specimen seen as they knew that a complete fossil was worth more to a collector than a single fragment. Some fossils sold for up to 5, which in 1845 would equate to around 250 today. AR/CB 16/04/2010
- Dimensions: Fossil - 98mm x 56mm x 17mm; Matrix - 120mm x 85mm x 30mm
- Colour: Brown
- Geological Complex:
- Associated Period:
- For more information contact: Wolverhampton Arts and Museums Service